Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year Hoppin' Jon!

Cheers and Happy New Year!  If you're feeling a little foggy this morning (like me!) here's a great dish that will insure a happy tummy and, better yet, good fortune in the new year!  I've been making New Year's Day hoppin' Jon since we moved to the South in 2000.  I love it!

This recipe is from the label of the Bush's Blackeye Peas with Bacon can.  It's my favorite...hope you like it too!

Hoppin' Jon 

1 cup chopped onion (yellow or white)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped cooked ham (leftover from Christmas, of course)
2 Tbsp oil
2 cans blackeye peas with bacon (or any other variety)
1/2 to 1 tsp hot sauce
3 cups cooked white rice
salsa (optional)
sour cream (optional)

In a large skillet (I actually use my Dutch oven), heat oil.  Add onions, peppers and ham, then cook until crisp tender (I tend to cook longer, since my family likes their onions soft).  Drain blackeye peas, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.  Add blackeye peas, reserved liquid, and hot sauce to ham mixture; stir to combine.  Spoon over rice.  Top with salsa and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment