Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Taste of the '80s Layered Salad

I can't remember where I read this, but someone recently wrote an article about the best salad he had ever tasted.  Intrigued, I read further.  His remarkable salad was a layered salad, like what you, me, and every other kid of the 70s and 80s had at every picnic and family reunion.  Don't get me wrong.  It is an excellent salad. But new...uh, no.

The layered salad recipe I make is from my tried and true Edina Morningside Community Church Cookbook.  The recipe was submitted by my band teacher's wife.  Yep.  I hope you like it as much as I do.

Layered Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce, torn apart
1 cup diced celery
2 green peppers, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1 box frozen peas (or I small bag)
8 strips bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 cup mayonnaise + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a 9x13 baking dish (nonmetal) or large bowl, place a single layer of each of the first 7 ingredients.  Top with sweetened mayonnaise.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Do not toss.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Toss before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment