Sunday, January 4, 2015

Plan for Cold Days with Best Ever Burgundy Beef Stew

According to the weatherman, this week we're supposed to have the coldest weather of the season.  To me, nothing tastes better than a hot bowl of hearty beef stew to ease the chill of the cold.  I'm kind of a picky stew person - I don't like it when everything congeals into a big mushy mass.  That's why I always make my stew in on the stove.  My go-to stew recipe is courtesy of my favorite cookbook: What Can I Bring by the Junior League of Northern Virginia.  It's fantastic.  Please note that this stew is a two-step process...you need to marinate the meat either in the morning or the night before.  I hope you give it a try!

Burgundy Beef Stew

1 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine (or whatever red wine you have on hand)
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves (or 3 heaping tsp minced garlic from a jar)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 lb beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans beef broth
1 (9 oz) package green beans (I often go larger on this)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp water

Combine first 7 ingredients.  Place stew meet in large ziploc bag and pour in combined ingredients.  Chill at least 8 hours or overnight.  Remove beef from marinade, reserving marinade for later.  Remove and discard bay leaves.

Brown beef in hot oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat; drain and return beef to Dutch oven.  Add reserved marinade and broth to beef and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.  Add green beans, onion, and carrots, stirring well.  Cover and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Combine flour and 2 Tbsp of water, stirring until smooth; add to soup, stirring well.  Cook until soup is thickened.  Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment