Thursday, August 14, 2014

World's Best Frosting

Today is my son's 14th birthday! Yay Jon! A tradition at our house is cake for breakfast (honestly, it's usually the only time I can guarantee everyone will be there).  I gave him lots of options for birthday cakes: store bought cake, cookie cake, ice cream cake, etc.  He asked that I make him a chocolate cake with white (or blue) frosting.  Love him!




Although I was born and raised a Cake Eater (Minnesota readers will get this), I am not a cake snob.  I will buy whatever cake mix is on sale.  However, I am very particular when it comes to frosting.  Homemade is the only way to go.  If you know how to turn on a mixer, you can do this.  I'm giving you 3 recipes.  The first is a super-easy basic buttercream courtesy of my old pal Betty Crocker.  The second comes from my former Saratoga Estates neighbor, Lisa - I dub her frosting "The World's Best Frosting"...it really is! I just made the third, white mountain frosting, for the first time yesterday.  It's kind of a pain to make, but it is beautiful, delicious and fat free!  Woohoo!

Betty's Creamy Vanilla Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened (but NOT melted)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp of milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter.  Stir in vanilla and milk (add liquids gradually).  Beat until smooth and of spreading consistency.  The recipe states that this is enough to frost a layer cake; I think they are wrong.  If making for a layer cake double the recipe.

World's Best Frosting from Lisa of Louisville

1 cup white Crisco
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Beat the shortening, salt, vanilla and almond extract at high speed in mixing bowl.  Beat in powdered sugar alternately with the evaporated milk, taking turns until both are gone.  Beat until creamy.  This recipe makes enough to frost a layer cake.  I LOVE this frosting on French Vanilla cake, as well as on sugar cookies.

White Mountain Frosting

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp water
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)

Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in sauce pan.  Over medium heat, cover and bring to rolling boil.  Uncover and boil to 242 F (you will need a candy thermometer - or drop a little of the hot syrup in cold water. If it holds its shape, it's ready). Remove from heat.

As syrup boils (will take several minutes), beat egg whites with stand mixer on medium/medium high until soft peaks form.  While the mixer is still going, gradually add the hot syrup in a thing stream.  Add vanilla and optional almond extract.  Beat until stiff peaks form.

No comments:

Post a Comment