Monday, August 18, 2014

My favorite tomato recipe: Mom's Tomatoes Vinaigrette

When tomato plants finally produce tomatoes, they seem to be ripe all at once!  I love them!  I could truly eat a BLT made with Nueske's bacon (based in Wisconsin, but available via www.nueskes.com), romaine, and a little bit of mayo on English muffin toasting bread EVERY SINGLE DAY.  However, even after eating all those yummy sandwiches, it seems like there are always lots of tomatoes still left over.

One of my favorite tomato recipes - tomatoes vinaigrette - comes courtesy of my mom.  I think she may have received it from her sister in South Dakota who saw it in a newspaper or church cookbook.  Regardless, it is an excellent tomato recipe that is super versatile.  I serve it as a simple salad or ladled over toasted Italian bread for easy bruschetta.

Mom's Tomatoes Vinaigrette

6 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
4 large tomatoes, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed (or heaping tsp jarred chopped garlic)
6 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 heaping tsp dried basil
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Sprinkle the parsley over the tomatoes in a bowl.  Whisk the garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, basil, sugar and pepper in a small bowl.  Pour on the the tomatoes and mix gently.  Chill 3 hours to overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment