Thursday, August 28, 2014

Classic Rhubarb Pie

I have loved rhubarb pie as long as I can remember.   My sister recalls a time when I was maybe 5 that she took me to Poppin' Fresh (this morphed into Baker's Square) restaurant and I ordered and ate 2 pieces of rhubarb pie.  There is something about that tangy, tart, sweet flavor that makes me swoon.

Rhubarb doesn't thrive in Tennessee like it does in Minnesota.  However I get my fix courtesy of my sister, who sends me bags of it when it is in season.  I always look forward to this package.  My family and friends do too.

Although there are great recipes out there for rhubarb jam, rhubarb/strawberry pie, and my father-in-law's favorite rhubarb custard pie, I prefer traditional rhubarb-only 2 crust pie.

As far as crust goes, homemade definitely does taste better.  However, I only make it from scratch if I forget to pick up a pre-made refrigerated crust.   I'll include a recipe for crust, but don't feel guilty for using pre-made (sprinkle it with a little sugar before baking and it'll tastes almost as good!).



Rhubarb Pie

Pastry for 9-inch, two-crust pie
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel (I've used lime and orange too...use whatever you've got)
4 cups diced fresh rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 425.  Put 1 piecrust in pan; prick with fork.  Mix sugar, flour, and lemon peel.  Pour 1/2 of the rhubarb into the pie pan; sprinkle with half the sugar/flour mixture.  Cover with rest of rhubarb and sprinkle with remaining flour/sugar.  Dot with butter.  Cover fruit with remaining pie crust.  Slit top crust several times (to allow steam to escape).  Seal edges and flute with fingers or fork. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar over crust.  Cover fluted edge of crust with aluminum foil (remove during last 15 minutes of baking).

Bake on the center rack for approximately 45 minutes, or until crust is brown.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Easy Pie Crust in Food Processor

2/3 cup Crisco
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4-5 Tbsp cold water

Mix all ingredients except water in food processor.  Gradually add water until it starts to get crumbly and pull away from sides.  Remove pastry from processor.  Divide dough in half and roll between wax paper or heavily floured dish towels, until it is a large 1/4 inch disc.  Repeat same process with other half of dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment