Sunday, August 17, 2014

Favorite Roast Chicken

I get the feeling that a lot of folks don't realize how easy it is to make a whole roast chicken.  You literally open the sealed package, remove the packet of gizzards from the cavity, rinse and dry the bird, season  with salt and pepper, then throw in the oven.  Preparation takes all of 5 minutes.

I make roast chicken year round.  They are budget friendly (right now Aldi is selling whole roasters for approximately 95 cents a pound...most run about $5.50) and delicious.  I usually serve with some sort of steamed vegetable and salad.

I base my recipe on chef Thomas Keller's from Epicurius.  I love this recipe because it's simple, and it produces a delectable crunchy skin.

Favorite Roast Chicken

5 lb whole roast chicken.  Rinsed and dried
sea salt
pepper
thyme, rosemary or other herb (optional)

Preheat oven to 450.  Place cookie sheet on bottom rack of oven to prevent smokey grease splatters.  Removed packet of gizzards from chicken cavity.  Rinse and dry completely (paper towels work fine).  Place bird breast side up (hold up the chicken like a real bird to figure this out...it's what I still do).  Shower the bird with salt and pepper.  I use at least 1 tsp of sea salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.  If you want, put a branch of fresh thyme or rosemary in the cavity.

Note:  Most foodies will recommend trussing the chicken legs.  I can't be bothered with it, but feel free to do it if you want.

Bake at 450 for approximately 1 1/2 hours.  If you bird is smaller, cook for less time (for example 2-3 lb bird would cook for 50-60 minutes).  Do not open the oven door while it is cooking!  It's done when the drumstick is loose and the juices run clear.



No comments:

Post a Comment