Sunday, October 5, 2014

Apple Kugel -- Pasta for Breakfast, Yes Please!

As you all know, I grew up in Minnesota.  And, while I'm not Jewish, there was a large Jewish community near my hometown, so I got to enjoy all sorts of scrumptious Jewish foods:  Hamantaschen, pastrami, salami, real bagels and bialy, chocolate whipped cream cake...little did I know how spoiled I was.  In fact, every time I go to Minnesota, I visit Cecil's Deli in St. Paul and order a grilled salami on a Kasier roll with raw onion and special sauce and a side of cole slaw.  Ahh...nothing like it.

Kugel is a breakfast pasta dish with Jewish origins.  No matter your faith, you should give it a try.  It's  outstanding. This recipe, is courtesy of the Junior League of Northern Virginia.

Apple Kugel

1/2 lb flat egg noodles, cooked
4 large eggs
8 oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
3 apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 375.  Combine first 6 ingredients, tossing gently.  Spoon into a breasted 2 quart baking dish.  Place apple slices on top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

Cinnamon Sugar:  Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon.  Store in an air tight container.  In addition to this recipe, it's delicious sprinkled on buttered toast (inspiration for Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal).

No comments:

Post a Comment