Saturday, September 20, 2014

Too Busy to Cook Beef Stroganoff

My copy of Bon Appetit's "Too Busy to Cook" cookbook (1981) is literally falling apart.  The hard cover isn't even attached to the binding or paper anymore.  It's been well loved.

One of my favorite recipes is Beef Stroganoff.  My family has been making this recipe for years, so to me it's comfort food.  Besides the taste, we make it because it's easy:  4 ingredients, plus noodles for serving.  That's it!  I use beef in my recipe, but my sister (whose husband is a hunter) makes hers with venison.  Both are equally delicious!

Beef Stroganoff

1 (1 1/2 - 2 lb) flank steak
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Freshly cooked egg noodles

Preheat oven to 325.  Cut steak lengthwise into thirds and then crosswise in to 1/4 inch slices.  Combine meat, onion soup mix, and mushroom soup in 2 quart baking dish.  Cover and bake 1 hour.  Stir a 1/4 cup sauce into the sour cream; blend into meat mixture.  Spoon over noodles.


1 comment:

  1. Same here! The book is in tatters.So many great and easy recipes from this classic. This is one of the fav's. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete