Monday, September 1, 2014

Potluck Cherry Butter Cake

This time of year I am always searching for dishes to bring to potlucks and tailgates.  Love me some brownies, but really do not need to add to the 3 other pans there.  One recipe that we come back to again and again is Butter Cake.  I think Paula Dean put butter cake on the map, but we've been making it long before her show was even on the air!

My recipe for Cherry Butter Cake tastes a lot like cherry cheesecake.  The recipe is from my Junior League of Northern Virginia cookbook, "What Can I Bring?" (my favorite JL cookbook).   It's really easy and delicious!  I hope you give it a try!

Cherry Butter Cake

1/2 cup butter
4 large eggs, divided
1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
1 (20 oz) can cherry pie filling
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Melt butter in 9x13x2 inch pan.  Beat 2 eggs and cake mix at medium speed with an electric mixer until eggs are blended.  Pour/pat batter in pan over melted butter.  Spread pie filling over batter.  Beat cream cheese and remaining 2 eggs at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.  Add powdered sugar, beating well.  Spread over pie filling.   Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve cool or at room temperature.

Note: If cherries aren't your thing, feel free to swap another flavor of fruit pie filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment