Saturday, September 6, 2014

JL NOVA - Ashburn (Marabella) Chicken

As a former Junior Leaguer (was active for 10+ years!), I have a soft spot for Junior League cookbooks.  I've contributed to a few and purchased many.  In fact, whenever I see Junior League cookbook at a garage sale or thrift store, I buy it.  The recipes are almost always winners.  Here's why:  All recipes are tested and approved of by a committee before they are added to the cookbook.

One of the best JL cookbooks that I own is "What Can I Bring" by the Junior League of Northern Virginia (1999).  (I transferred to the chapter in 2002.)  Some of my favorite (and most shared) recipes come from this book: White Russian Cake, Sassy Sausage Dip, Burgundy Beef Stew, White Chili, Creamy Tomato Sausage Sauce, Cherry Butter Cake, honestly I could go on, but I won't.  Never fear...all of these recipes will make it to the blog eventually.

My introduction to Ashburn chicken came right after my youngest, Ben, was born in 2005 (a fellow League member brought it as a meal).  Also known as Chicken Marabella, it soon became a family favorite.  Some of you may scowl when you read the recipe...prunes and olives?! Ewww!  Please try it anyway.  It's delicious!

JL NOVA "What Can I Bring" Ashburn Chicken

8 chicken breasts
1/2 garlic blub pureed (1 tsp jarred minced garlic)
2 Tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pitted prunes
1/4 cup Spanish green olives
1/4 cup capers, undrained (4 oz jar)
3 bay leaves
-------
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine

Combine first 10 ingredients in a Ziploc bag; chill overnight or 6-8 hours (I prepare in the morning for dinner that night).  Arrange chicken in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish and pour marinade over the top.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and pour wine over the top.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.  This chicken can be served hot or at room temperature.  I like it with pita bread.

NOTE: If you use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you will need to decrease cooking time. Cook at 350 for approximately 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment