Friday, September 5, 2014

Tastes Like Sanibel - Orange Mermaid Cake

Folks who grew up in Edina know there is just one place to spend spring break:  Sanibel Island, Florida.  Well, at least that's the way it was way back when I was in high school.  Sanibel still has a hold of me.  

Sanibel is an off the beaten path island located near Naples, Florida.  There's a charming lighthouse and fishing pier at one end and miles of bike paths leading to the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge at the other.  In between are miles of shell covered beaches... and I'm talking good shells like conches, whelks, sand dollars, olives, etc.  There are also amazing restaurants, shops, and a two good supermarkets.

The supermarket that we visit when we get to the island is Jerry's.  Jerry's is an Edina-based supermarket.  Yep, the other one is in my hometown.  So, when I visit, I can purchase items that taste like home, but that I can't get in Nashville.  The other supermarket on the island that I visit, is a little more upscale: Bailey's.  We always make a special trip to Bailey's to purchase an orange Mermaid Cake for my sister (we're normally on the island for her birthday).  It is delicious!  

I've recently came across a recipe for Orange Crunch Cake that is very similar to orange Mermaid Cake.  I hope you like it as much as we do!

Orange Mermaid Cake

Crust
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted

Cake
1 pkg white cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs

Frosting
1 can white frosting
1 cup Cool Whip
2 Tbsp orange juice

Preheat over to 350.  Mix crust ingredients together and pat 1/2 of mixture in bottom of greased 9x13x2 inch pan.  Mix cake mix with water, concentrate, oil and eggs.  Pour 1/2 of cake batter on crumbs.  Sprinkle remainder of crumbs on batter, then pour remaining batter on top of crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Mix frosting ingredients and frost cake when cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment