Sunday, February 1, 2015

Paula's Beef Stew

Some days are simply known as stew days.  You know them.  Blustery, snowy...not fit for man nor beast.   Those from up north may not believe that Nashville gets blustery weather.  I didn't believe it until we moved here.  Folks, it gets cold.  Yes, this Minnesota girl is saying that it gets cold in the South.  I'm not talking wimpy 40 and put on the fur.  As I type this, it is 17 with a windchill below zero.  Yikes!

It should come as no surprise that I like to beat the cold with FOOD!  This classic recipe for beef stew by Paula Deen is perfect on frigid days like today.  Give it a try!

Paula's Beef Stew

2 lbs stew meat
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove peeled (you will remove this later; I sometimes used 1 tsp minced garlic and leave it)
2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
dash ground allspice 
3 large carrots sliced
3 ribs celery chopped
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Heat vegetable oil in large soup kettle (I use my Dutch oven).  Add stew meat and brown.  Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika and allspice.  Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.  Remove bay leaves and garlic clove (remember if you used minced garlic, don't worry about removing).  Add carrots and celery.  Cover and cook 30-40 minutes longer.  To thicken, remove approximately 1 cup of liquid.  Combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup hot water.  Mix until smooth.  Add cornstarch mixture to cup of hot liquid.  Stir until blended.  Add to stew and stir until blended.  Note: I sometimes add a diced potato when I add the carrots and celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment