Sunday, February 15, 2015

1970s Lemon Bars...Don't Get Much Better than This

Traditional lemon bars are one of my favorite desserts.  However, I am very, very specific about how they should taste.  To me there are none better than the late Joyce Emerson's.  Her recipe is in my beloved 1976 Edina Morningside Church Cookbook and is the only recipe I ever make.  Enjoy!

Joyce's Lemon Bars

Crust
1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix crust ingredients and pat into 8x8 inch pan.  Bake 15-20 minutes.

Filling
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp flour
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
Beat filling ingredients and pour over baked crust.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Frosting
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
Beat frosting with mixer and frost bars when cool.

Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment