Saturday, April 11, 2015

Perfect (and Super Easy) Pie Crust

I've had a food processor for decades.  During most of those years the only thing I used it for was chopping onion.  Yep...big ole thing took up space in my pantry so I wouldn't ruin my mascara when cooking with onion.  Luckily, I discovered that in addition to chopping onions, a food processor is an excellent tool for creating dough.  Bread dough, pizza dough, and pie crust.

I'm in a pie baking mood, so I've been whipping up a batch of Ina Garten's perfect pie dough recipe in the food processor a couple of times a week.  Making pie dough this way is so easy.  You have to give it a try!

Barefoot Contessa's Perfect Pie Dough

12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) very cold butter
1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening (Crisco)
3 cups flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cold water

Measure shortening and dice butter, then place both in freezer until ready to use.  Place flour, sugar, and salt in food processor.  Pulse several times to combine.  Add cold shortening and butter.  Pulse 10-12 times unil butter is the size of peas.  With food processor running, add the water down the feed tube.  Pulse until the dough becomes a ball and pulls away from the sides.  Dump on waxed paper, wrap and place in refrigerator for 1/2 hour or until ready to use.

When ready to use, divide the dough in half.  Roll out on floured table to prevent sticking.  Makes 2 pie crusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment