Monday, April 20, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie...easier than you think!

Y'all know I'm no chef.  But, I like to cook and when I find a recipe I like I share it.  I love pie crust.  Hate to admit that I will eat it raw...butter, shortening, flour, salt.  Oh my!  Love it!  Whenever I can make a pie, I will.

Here's a great recipe for chicken pot pie that I think you'll really like.  I use whatever left over chicken I have.  If it doesn't seem like enough, I'll add more veggies.  I hope you like this pie as much as I do!

Chicken Pot Pie

1 package  (10 oz) frozen peas and carrots
1 stalk celery, diced
1 medium onion chopped
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cups milk
2-3 cups diced, cooked chicken
Pastry for 2 crust pie

Preheat oven to 425.  Remove pie crusts from refrigerator.  Rinse frozen peas and carrots and set aside.  Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat until melted.  Add diced celery and onion cook until onion is soft (about 5 minutes).  Add flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and tarragon.  Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is bubbly.   Remove from heat.  Stir in broth and milk.  Return to heat and heat to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Stir in chicken and peas/carrots.

Place pastry in  9 inch pie place.  Pour in meat mixture.  Top with other pie crust, turning in edges and fluting to seal.  Vent top of pie.  Bake at 425 for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment